Tuesday, September 3, 2013

For the Love of Legends

I had an interesting conversation with my neighbors about the longevity of talents in the music business being something that they felt us "young folks" need to look out for. We discussed several artists in the music genre that I have yet to hear of-- most of them popular one or two generations back. I love so much of the legendary American musicians noted during our talk but I have always been fond of the mega solo female artists of the past in especially in regard to the 60s and 70s.

Often captivated by the impact of their time in the music business, I am so inspired by the stepping talents of powerhouse singers or "sangers" to complete entertainers. Listening to their music definitely takes me to a different place, often free of the worries of the present moment.

I decided to capture Chaka Khan and Diana Ross during Black History Month. I wanted to pay homage to them as icons in the music industry. My favorite Chaka tune? Ain't Nobody! It's harder for me to pick with Diana but I must say it would probrably be a Motown-Supreme era tune...

"Chaka" 

"Diana"

No comments:

Post a Comment